Update from Oakland: March 30/Recap: Giants @ A’s Game 33
March 30, 2013
- A’s made their Oakland debut tonight and won 4-3 against their cross-bay rivals.
- Grant Balfour will be ready to go and is fully recovered from surgery and will be on the roster. Incredible that he made it given how recently he had surgery.
- Today was the big day for roster decisions. Nate Freiman is in, which isn’t shocking given that Daric Barton was dispatched yesterday. Mike Ekstrom, Pedro Figueroa, Luke Montz, Hideki Okajima and Andy Parrino are destined for Sacramento meaning that Evan Scribner has made the club. Hiroyuki Nakajima was placed on the 15-day disabled list meaning that as expected the middle infielders are Jed Lowrie, Scott Sizemore and Eric Sogard.
- Figueroa is going to be turned into a starter at Sacramento says Bob Melvin. While I think there is a problem with depth for the A’s, Figueroa isn’t exactly what I would have had in mind in terms of building rotation depth.
- A’s lineup at the Coliseum was: Coco Crisp CF, John Jaso C, Josh Reddick RF, Yoenis Cespedes DH, Jed Lowrie SS, Brandon Moss 1B, Josh Donaldson 3B, Seth Smith LF, Eric Sogard 2B. Dan Straily got the start with Bartolo Colon pitching the last five innings of this game. Basically a start for both “fifth starter” Straily and for other “fifth starter” Colon who should be ready to go as soon as he is pulled off the suspension list, likely in lieu of Straily. Cespedes hit a home run into a Mount Davis suite off of Ryan Vogelsong, he finishes the spring with a .295/.377/.623 slash line and six home runs in 69 plate appearances.