Update from San Francisco: March 29/Recap: A’s @ Giants Game 32
March 29, 2013
- A’s lost 3-1 to Barry Zito and the Giants tonight at AT&T Park.
- Along with the slew of roster moves today with guys coming on and off the 40-man roster, Jordan Norberto today was optioned to Sacramento. He pitched nine times this spring, getting himself a 4.35 ERA in 10 1/3 innings with four walks, eight K’s and 16 hits allowed including a homer. The A’s bullpen is starting to take shape and it seems like they probably go with just two lefties in the pen: Jerry Blevins and Sean Doolittle.
- Hiroyuki Nakajima seems destined to start the season on the disabled list now with his sore left hamstring.
- Later today when talking about his DFA (something Daric Barton declined to do), Travis Blackley who has the option of declining an outright should he clear waivers, hinted that he likely will do so should he clear as he wants to continue to play at the highest level and given the difficulty associated with making it onto a roster again after that. I wish him the best of luck, he is a good guy, don’t see him clearing waivers though, hopefully Oakland can acquire something in return for him as pitchers like him do carry value. Barton, who declined commenting to the media, however though he has not yet been DFA’d given his time in at the MLB level he can decline an outright should he clear waivers – I would not be shocked to see Barton clear waivers either. While a team like Milwaukee or New York in need of first basemen may give him a shot, Barton has a rather lengthy history with a lack of success at this point. No word on whether he will try and latch on elsewhere, but I’d think Oakland wouldn’t offer the worst opportunity for him to quickly return depending on how long a leash Billy Beane and company give Nate Freiman.
- A’s lineup tonight against San Francisco, playing with the designated hitter tonight: Coco Crisp CF, Jed Lowrie SS, Chris Young RF, Yoenis Cespedes LF, Josh Donaldson 3B, Derek Norris C, Freiman 1B, Seth Smith DH, Scott Sizemore 2B. A.J. Griffin got the start today and K’d six in five innings, 21 K’s in 20 innings on the spring. Chris Resop, Doolittle, Ryan Cook and Grant Balfour all pitched in this one.